Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Great Flood of 2006

Yesterday we had an unexpected HEAVY rainstorm that overwhelmed our yard and drainage system. It started before lunchtime and made the backyard look worse than it did after a long rainy spell, and only in a matter of 2 hours! We had a little leaking in the basement, which we quickly mopped up and continued with our day. The rain picked up again around dinnertime and after we ate, we checked the basement for water. As Cranky and Raymond (age 6) were mopping up a bit, Cranky noticed Raymond's puddle growing faster than he could mop it. Then they checked other corners of the basement and found leaks everywhere! I came down to help and quickly realized we were losing the battle. Water was 2 inches up the basement window, sloshing, resembling the porthole on a boat! All 3 kids were pressed into service. Bob, age 3, was released from duty at 8:00 pm to go to bed. The other 2 kids worked with Cranky and me until 9:45, when we finally got it under control. Ice-cold beer and ginger ale was consumed amid the mess as we evaluated the damage.

Our basement is all torn up, since we had to move everything from the corners. The guest room was also soaked. My sister and brother-in-law are coming for a 3-day visit tomorrow so we are working hard to make it habitable. Not exactly how I wanted to spend my weekend!




Funny tidbit from today: I was working on the mudroom (taping and mudding) when Raymond came in to watch. He was whistling the tune from the Enzyte (natural male enhancement, if you haven't seen it yet) commercials. Besides pondering the fact that those commercials are no longer shown only on late night tv, but on channels that my children watch, I asked (okay, told) him to stop. So he started humming it. "PUHLEZE stop with that tune!" So he sang Row, Row, Row Your Boat. I thought that was better but corrected him on the stanza, "Life is BUT a dream". His reply, "hahaha. Life is BUTT a dream! hahaha!" I just couldn't win today!

7 Comments:

Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

When my oldest two were about 13 and 15, the basement of our house flooded violently. Water was fountaining out of the sump hole. It happened while I was at work, so I came home as fast as I could.

By the time I got home, the basement had a foot of water in it. But that wasn't the worst of it.

The worst was that my kids took the antique Norwegian birch dining room chairs down into the basement--into the flooded basement. They were using them as islands in order to walk across the flooded basement without getting their feet wet.

And why were they doing that, you may ask?

To plug in the dehumidifier. Which was sitting in a foot of water. Whose catch basin had floated several feet away.

Because the dehumidifier keeps the basement dry.

Gotta love your kids. Because you can't kill them

Yeharr

Sun Jul 23, 10:29:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Oh boy.

Wet basements and butt jokes. You're living my life!

Actually we got the basement thing under control last year after a traumatic and expensive construction project which I still can't talk about.
The butt jokes however, cannot be stopped.

Mon Jul 24, 12:37:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger mal said...

our walk out basement flooded 6 years ago. We ended up tossing all the carpet. We fixed the problem by redoing our gutters and installing a tile/sump set up. The gutter redo was all we needed so far. Only thing that has been in the sump is spiders

good luck!

Mon Jul 24, 04:52:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Jessica said...

I live in the land of no basements, butt I feel your pain.

Mon Jul 24, 09:35:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

BP: I'm impressed you can look back and laugh at that incident. What a scene!

Heidi: I will try not to mention basement again. Must've been a bad one for you!

Mal: Cranky bought another Wet-Vac as insurance against this happening again. The one we have worked great, so we figure we could control it with 2. It probably won't happen again if we are ready for it!

Jessica: *chuckle* You "crack" me up!

Tue Jul 25, 07:28:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Oh it's okay, you can talk about your wet basement. I just wont' be returning the talk!

I will say it's nice now and I'm glad it's done. I'll be paying for it til I'm 70 but it's a nice house now.

Tue Jul 25, 09:22:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

who sez i'm laughing?

oh, hell. wood is just wood.

yeharr

Tue Jul 25, 12:16:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home