Saturday, May 27, 2006

Memorial Day Weekend

A three day weekend, beautiful! Cranky and I wanted to go out alone and we decided to go to a veterans dinner in the next town. Great food, a little reminiscing, but we were the only vets that served since Vietnam. The dinner was delicious, no kids, and the bartender served us very cold beer. So why complain? I'm not. We had a good time.

Tomorrow we are getting a family picture taken. It's my mother's day present and I finally made the appointment. I'm trying to get the kids pumped up so they will smile. Bob is 3 and has never had his picture taken in a formal setting, except for the one taken in the hospital the day after he was born. Wish us luck!

We've been very busy lately. That is nothing unusual, but I haven't mentioned our ongoing home improvement projects. We are expanding our mudroom (an invaluable room between our garage and our house where we hang up our coats and kick off our muddy shoes.) Over the past couple of days I shingled the roof while Cranky put up the siding. My six yr. old mentioned to me last night that I should finish it this weekend since I have to go to work on Monday. This morning I went for a run and then got my ass back out on that roof so now it is done!



We also have a basement project underway. It was an unfinished basement when we bought this house 2 years ago. Now we have a guest room and the rest of the area looks almost inviting. Okay, the warm weather is here and in a house without air conditioning, a cool basement is always inviting.... We need some floor covering, a ceiling (Cranky is an awesome drop-ceiling-installer) and bookcases/entertainment center. Soon it will be the parent-hide-away!

We had just fixed our house in Atlanta the way we wanted it, and we moved. Now this house, while perfectly fine, has turned into another big project!

Have a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend!

10 Comments:

Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

When one of my cousins renovated his home, he installed an industrial-grade water fountain in his mudroom. When I think of all the times kids come trampling through the house just to get a drink of water from the kitchen, it seemed like a brilliant idea.

Yeharr

Sun May 28, 08:04:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Jessica said...

Why 2 ladders?

Mon May 29, 12:12:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

A MUDROOM! We did the 6 month renovation last year --still don't want to talk about it, traumatic--the only thing wrong with our house now is the lack of mudroom.

It's interesting that you got the other house right, then moved. I want to move. I don't want to leave my neighbours but I can't keep horses in this backyard and it's too far away from family. So, I'll likely end up with a house that needs everything. That's life eh?

As for the basement, yes, you'll enjoy a cool downstairs. Part of our project was to rough in the AC but we can't afford to buy the condenser or whatever it is that goes outside...so it's nice to be able to go downstairs when it's hot upstairs!

Mon May 29, 08:53:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

BP: A water fountain would be great! I've been mulling that one over...

Jessica: When I was shingling the lower part of the roof, I could do it all from the ladders. Having 2 was easier than moving one ladder. At one point I even had a ladder on the backside in case I needed to get down that way if I knocked over the one on this side. (Bob was the only other person home and he would not have been able to help!)

Heidi: There's always a project isn't there? Last summer we broke down and put those little window a/c units in our bedroom and Bob's bedroom. (the warmer side of the house) This year we added one in Raymond's room, but Mary still says she doesn't mind the heat! We use them at night, and they haven't been turned on yet...I'm hoping we don't leave this house, so I don't mind the projects as much. If anything, I want more improvements so I can enjoy them even longer!

Mon May 29, 02:55:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Colleen said...

yay!
no more nasty tick!!

and yay for 3 day weekends!!

Tue May 30, 09:53:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

It's very smart of you to take some grownup time for yourselves. I'm glad you guys are making progress! It's more than I can say right now (you'll see my post about my recent home disaster and you'll understand), but we'll get there!

Tue May 30, 08:04:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Jessica said...

Makes sense to me.

Tue May 30, 09:44:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger mal said...

it seems the more we do to make this house the way we like it, the more we talk about moving....makes sense to me

Fri Jun 02, 06:39:00 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... http://www.valium-on-line-4.info/Fluoxetine3.html

Tue Mar 06, 01:09:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Annalise Johnnie said...

You really did lots of work, but it's cool that everything turned out well. Doing a house project may look like a little difficult at first. But when it gets done, it never fails to give a sense of accomplishment. How was it with the basement?

Mon Sep 05, 09:20:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home