Sunday, April 23, 2006

Our creative daughter



Our daughter's latest creative outlet is her website. She is only 11, so I don't want to link to it. Her writing is expressive and emotional. Here is an excerpt from the "thoughts" page:

What is my mind??
My mind is an enigma (Stupid? don't know that big word?
click here). It is a twisting, turning place. My mind is a home to memories, good and bad. I live in those memories. Some are locked, and not to be shared, others, much more open. I am my mind. The mind is me. Without my mind I am nothing. My mind is confusing. My mind is a brain. My mind is all in my head. My mind contains feelings, controls thoughts and rules the body. My mind is everything that makes me well, me. My mind is a mystery. My mind is a government of myself, without it, who would help me live? Don't mess with my mind.

Did I mention she is 11 years old? I was not writing like this at her age.

Here is a funny list she pasted under "joke of the day".

I really do love this country, but...

1. Only in America... can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance.

2. Only in America... are there handicap parking places in front of a skating rink.

3. Only in America... do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.

4. Only in America... do people order double cheese burgers, large fries, and a diet coke.

5. Only in America... do banks leave both doors open and then chain the pens to the counters.

6. Only in America... do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in the driveway and put our useless junk in the garage.

7. Only in America... do we use answering machines to screen calls and then have call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to in the first place.

8. Only in America... do we buy hot dogs in packages of ten and buns in packages of eight.

9. Only in America... do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

10. Only in America... do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille.

We are using the website as a learning tool for internet safety. Here is an example of what she has learned. She was asking for stories, comments or otherwise from her friends to publish and this was the fine print at the bottom:

Hand them to me on paper in school. Please tell me if you want your name on the internet, and please note that I will take out any personal info that may be harmful to have on the internet. Make sure that all articles posted are clean and of good content. If I find anything inappropriate, I will take it off immediately/ not post it. Each story must be written by the author you state on the paper, or if it was written by someone else, note who that is on the paper. Do not use your real name on the paper, instead use a nickname, screen name, etc.

10 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

when i have kids, i want a daughter like yours.

Sun Apr 23, 11:29:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger mal said...

mmmmmm not sure I would call her mind an "enigma". I am thinking "gifted" may be too weak a word. She certainly understands irony as an art form.

WOW

Sun Apr 23, 12:00:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

She's brilliant! Aren't you proud?

(between you and me, don't bust her bubble, but the Only in America things sounded really familiar to this canuck...!)

Next year our boy will probably go to a different school for the full time gifted program. I wish I could find a program for our bright, creative, talented child who can't concentrate in class. The search continues...

Sun Apr 23, 10:18:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

Colleen: With your creative talent, I'm sure any of your kids will be gifted!

Mallory: Thanks! I love when she writes; I find out things I can't from just talking.

Heidi: The joke should sound familiar. She PASTED it on her site -- I just like her sense of humor!
You'll need to foster that creativity at home for the most part. I can't believe how helpful our daughter's website has been.

Mon Apr 24, 05:51:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Kind of thought that might have been pasted, but still, she's genius...I don't know if I'd know how to do that!

Getting a piano helped things along at home. I just wish school wasn't such a total drag. (Bad memories!)

Mon Apr 24, 05:17:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Jessica said...

Smart girl. Smart mom, too. It's a great idea to teach Internet safety through responsibility and moderated freedom. That, and I bet you and the Cranky dad at home would have more than a few words for any unsavory Net-creeps.

So many parents are baffled by blogging and all things web that they do the equivalent of handing their kids the keys and saying "Go take a spin around the block and teach yourself to drive."

Mon Apr 24, 09:47:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Jessica said...

Love the bird chalk-drawing, too. Especially the feet under the water--nice touch.

Mon Apr 24, 09:49:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

You're lucky. What a great kid! But the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. You and Cranky have done a wonderful job!

Tue Apr 25, 03:40:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I certainly wasn't writing like that at 11 either. Your daughter is certainly gifted with insight. That was wonderful!

Fri Apr 28, 11:23:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

What a great kid! I'm trying to figure out how to get yer and my son together.

Meh. I've got a decade to figure it out.

Yeharr

Fri Apr 28, 12:37:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home