Monday, April 10, 2006

Spring Break?



I leave tomorrow on a 6-day trip to Frankfurt. Things are getting a little crazy at work -- management is trying very hard to cut our wages again. I never thought it would get this bad and I think the pilot group has finally decided to raise the bullshit flag. The results of the strike ballot:

96.4% of eligible pilots voted
94.7% of those pilots voted in favor of a strike

I get home on April 16th and the strike may be called anytime after April 17th. I will be off that week because it's the kids' Spring Break.

Hmmm.

We probably won't be flying anywhere then...

Here's a good example of our incredibly lame management team. (Copied from a Union email I received):

In what can only be assumed to be another attempt to rebuild sagging employee morale, on April 5, Delta executives announced another forward-thinking campaign. Dubbed "Delta After Dark," management will kick off its first "Clean Day" volunteer effort on April 19. In essence, Delta employees are being asked to volunteer to come in on their own time and without pay and clean aircraft remaining overnight. While we applaud the Delta spirit of those who choose to volunteer, it is ironic that a senior management that has spent millions on $1000/hour consultants to lower employee costs now attempts to reach out by asking employees to work for free.

What next?

9 Comments:

Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Oh boy. I just took a flight, as you know, and told myself the whole time that the pilot would be a well rested, well paid, content individual. Yankee my dear, I hope this works out well for you.

Tue Apr 11, 08:50:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I think Delta has a marvellous idea! I am sure that senior management will be there, tirelessly working alongside you. Pass the peanuts, please.

Tue Apr 11, 11:19:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger mal said...

I never thought I would be singing the Union songs, but after the foolishness I have seen American management exercise in the last two decades I have started getting in harmony.

The airline problems I lay DIRECTLY on the door step of management. Somewhere along the way they have forgotten that business is people dealing with people and not controlling metrics. It is the equivalent of running a baseball time by managing solely to the ERA and batting averages. Hello? some one forget there is a scoreboard out there?

I was in middle management for a Fortune 100. Top management did not justify the high salaries they recieved.

The ultimate irony of the NWA debacle is they are paying the same fools who put that airline on the rocks retention bonuses. Paying bonuses to keep proven incompetents, can it get sillier?

Tue Apr 11, 02:16:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Colleen said...

i wondered what was going on with the pilots. of course, here in atlanta, that's all anyone is talking about. i bet delta caves before the strike.

but, just in case, we are flying luftansa to germany this summer.

Wed Apr 12, 08:43:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Our companies are being run by a bunch of bottom-line sociopaths. I hope all turns out well for you.

Yeharr

Thu Apr 13, 10:19:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Jessica said...

I hope it all works out for you. And, selfishly, for me too; we have a May 11 trip planned.

Mon Apr 17, 10:31:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Yankee, do you live out in the bush? I have a weird idea that you have a long drive to get to your plane. or am I thinking aobut someone else?

Mon Apr 17, 11:06:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

Thank you everybody for your kind thoughts. I hope the company's proposal is a reasonable one. Our union leadership is reviewing it this week and if they think it's fairly reasonable, the whole pilot group will be voting on it soon. It's not over yet.

Heidi: I live in New Hampshire and fly out of NY. It's about a 4.5 to 5 hour drive depending on traffic, so I drive to Boston, which takes under 2 hrs., then fly to NY. So yes, we live in the woods in a terrific small town!

Tue Apr 18, 05:05:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Makes sense...if you work above clouds it would be good to live among trees!
Can I link up to your blog too?

Tue Apr 18, 10:31:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home