Saturday, March 11, 2006

My Frankfurt Trip

I'm back from 6 days of flying. We flew from NY to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Cincinnati, back to Frankfurt and yesterday, Frankfurt to NY. It's good to be back! We had awesome tailwinds going east so the 2 flights to Frankfurt were relatively quick.

This is what my instruments read:

The groundspeed is in the upper left corner -- 616 knots, or 709 mph. The tailwind was 179 kts (lower left corner). Excellent!


We don't stay in Frankfurt for the layover, we go to a hotel in Weisbaden. It was my first time staying at the hotel there and this is the key they gave me. This is the front:


And this is the back.... (or vice versa)

What?! No magnetic strip, words, arrows -- a blank card? (She says while scratching her head) Is this a joke?

So I got to my room and here's how the lock worked:

Pretty cool huh? The green light shows that my door is now unlocked. I felt like a secret agent.

Then, once inside the room I had to put my key in this holder to make the lights work.


Many of the hotels we stay in use these. If you take the room key out of the holder, the room will go dark in a couple of minutes. This is handy when you leave the room, because you don't need to turn of lights or the tv, and then when you return everything comes on again. The hardest thing is remembering to take the key when you leave.

Weisbaden is a nice city. I was surprised, however, to see a Walmart. I didn't go in because I refuse to shop there. I can't believe the Germans would tolerate such a thing! There are many wonderful shops in Weisbaden -- Walmart seemed out of place. What is this world coming to?

It was raining lightly when we left Frankfurt yesterday morning, but a beautiful day once we climbed up to cruise altitude. (It generally is.) To avoid the strong headwinds, we flew a northerly route which took us over the southern tip of Greenland.


I think all the ice floating in the water in the foreground is really cool. (No pun intended.)



I told myself I would not mention puke in this post, but last night Bob woke up and puked in his bed. Welcome home Mom!

7 Comments:

Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Thanks for these posts. It's great for those of us who don't get to travel to get a feel for what it's like.

Do your 'work weeks' often ping-pong you cross the ocean like that?


Yeharr

Sat Mar 11, 02:58:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

BP: Our 6 day trips either go back and forth across the Atlantic or continue east to India. It's easier to come back to the States in the middle of the trip than to go halfway around the world before coming back.

On Friday I have a 3-day trip to Venice so it will be a piece of cake. (A work weekend I guess?)

Sat Mar 11, 03:22:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Jessica said...

Enjoy Venice! Though I love the mountain and water photographs, the shot of your instruments fascinates me even more because I haven't seen much of a cockpit. Thanks.

Sat Mar 11, 11:48:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger jj mollo said...

I can never get those hotel door keys to work. I have to give them to my wife. Those blank ones look easy enough for me though.

The photographs are beautiful as always. I've looked for Greenland on the way home from Europe, but I didn't catch sight of it for one reason or another. The icebergs are interesting, but may be telling us a story that we'd rather not know about.

Sun Mar 12, 11:00:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

Jessica: Next time you fly, stop by the cockpit and take a peek! Pilots don't mind...

jj: We don't always fly over Greenland, it depends on the winds. I agree about the icebergs. I also wonder how much the glaciers have receded when I seen them.

Mon Mar 13, 07:54:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger doodlebugmom said...

Love the pictures of Greenland! I never get out of Wisconsin.

Mon Mar 13, 10:33:00 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read » » »

Tue Feb 20, 11:40:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home