Sunday, January 29, 2006

Post 9/11 Flying



I took this picture yesterday during our approach to runway 31L at JFK.

Don't worry, it was the captain's leg - he won the coin toss in Paris - so he was flying.

What a great day to fly into New York! The weather was beautiful and there wasn't a lot of traffic. We didn't get many vectors and were cleared the visual approach to this runway, which is close to our gates. Anyway...

I had a request from Jessica to write about post 9/11 flying.

Most things are not that different.

In the first few weeks, the TSA broke the nail file out of my nail clippers and took away my leatherman tool that I had carried since my Air Force days. I almost had an ice cream scoop confiscated that I had purchased for my mother (for Christmas) because the metal under the plastic handle looked like a weapon on the x-ray.

Just recently I was in Boston (commuting to work, but not wearing my uniform) and got in the wrong security line -- all people in that line had to go through the "puffer" machine that detects explosives. While showing my Delta ID I asked if employees were exempt. The TSA agent said it would be considered a "refusal to test". I didn't want to learn about that process so I went into the machine. If you haven't seen it, it's a glass doored machine that blows puffs of air all over your body. (Most people let out a little yelp like they are being tickled -- I was too pissed off for that.) Then you stand in there for a minute while the machine deciphers the air sample. When the agent opened the door, he told me I had failed -- I tested positive to TNT! I had to wait for a supervisor while other agents thoroughly checked all my luggage. The supervisor told me that sometimes fertilizer can give a positive result (although I hadn't been doing any gardening that morning). She wrote my name on a list and sent me on my way. I almost missed my flight!


By comparison, I used to live and fly out of Atlanta. Our employee bus brought us directly to the A-concourse where our pilot lounge is located. We did not go through security. I think this is fantastic. After 9/11, they tried to bring all the employees through security. During normal shift change times, they could not get everyone through fast enough and it was stopped in about 2 days. So I guess if it is logistically difficult, security is not necessary. (Please excuse my sarcasm, but this drives me nuts.) Please note that I am not complaining about ATL. I wish all airports worked this way.

Enough about airport security!


There are only a few differences inflight.

On international flights bound for the US, we make an announcement from the cockpit before departure about TSA-implemented procedures. In summary, we tell passengers not to congregate in any area of the airplane and to stay in their respective cabin -- Business (First) Class or Coach Class.

I also find that if we miss a radio call from Air Traffic Control, there seems to be a greater effort to re-establish communications. Other airplanes will be asked to relay a message or the company is notified and they contact us by datalink.

But the most annoying change is the new cockpit exit/entry procedure. If we need to come out for any reason (like to use the bathroom for instance), we need to coordinate with the flight attendants so they can clear the door and bathroom of any passengers. It's a real hassle and with all the procedures, we are only alerting the passengers when the cockpit door will be open.


I honestly don't believe that any terrorist is going to use a commercial airliner again in an attack.

It's been done.

They caught us off guard.

We assumed hijackers want to land.

We have learned.

When my neighbors in Atlanta used to ask me if I was concerned about the safety of flying, I would ask, "Do you drive on the highways around here? That is the most dangerous part of my workday!"

11 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

Wow. How many women pilots are there? A lot? Or do you find yourself in a minority?

I always wondered what pilots saw when they land. Gorgeous pic!

Sun Jan 29, 09:56:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

So I guess if it is logistically difficult, security is not necessary.

EXACTLY! And that's what makes me laugh about the current US regime's obsession with 'terror' and 'homeland security', Moore exposed it so well in his movie and your words also expose the lack of reality between soundbite and actuality.

Mon Jan 30, 05:07:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

Colleen:

There are less than 100 women out of about 6500 pilots at Delta. Right now there are 3 of us in New York flying the B-767ER, out of 500 total. We are in the minority everywhere we go...

Daniel:

You're so right. Business would never allow it, but I hope I don't see the day when we go through metal detectors to get into the mall. (or on trains, or in the subways, etc.)

Mon Jan 30, 06:14:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Thanks for sharing these observations, they're interesting! I think the most surprising thing to me is that the cockpits weren't/aren't(?) bulletproof. Or are they, now?

Mon Jan 30, 10:47:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger jj mollo said...

The problem with the way we organize our government is that it's more important to appear to be doing something than it is to actually be doing something.

Tue Jan 31, 07:03:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

JJ Mollo is dead-on.

Tue Jan 31, 08:45:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

My oldest son--Lt. Trouble--submitted a paper his freshman year about airport security, in which he came to the conclusion that all it does is offer the appearance of security. He submitted it either the Friday before or the Monday of the week of 9/11.

There's got to be a better way of doing this.

Yeharr

Tue Jan 31, 11:53:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger mal said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Fri Feb 03, 09:13:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger mal said...

I think flight 93 did more for airline safety than all the TSA efforts combined.

I work around nitrates regularly and usually have a detectable level on my brief bag and sometimes my clothes. It gets me searched better than 50% of the time. Thankfully, I do not fly that much anymore.

At least we do not have Gaurdsman wandering around the airports with M-16's now

Fri Feb 03, 09:15:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Jessica said...

Thanks Notsocranky! I enjoyed the post, and it answered my questions well.

Despite the hassles (and it sounds like there are many), I admit that I think some attempt to better protect the lives of airport staff and passengers is better than throwing up your hands.

Timely post with the NY photo.

Mon Feb 06, 08:14:00 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! Sunflowers 1602 a d game cheats

Mon Feb 05, 01:32:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home