Saturday, December 31, 2005

Borrowed Gang of Four

This meme is stolen (although I prefer the term "borrowed with implied permission") from BP's And Another Thing...blog today. Seemed like a good one for the last day of 2005.


Four jobs you've had in your life: painter, lawn care professional, personal cook (a live-in job at an estate on Lake Sunapee), pilot


Four movies you could watch over and over: Goodfellas, The Big Lebowski, The Incredibles, A Christmas Story


Four places you've lived: (other than my childhood and current hometown in NH) Colorado Springs CO, Del Rio TX, Tacoma WA, and Atlanta GA


Four TV shows you love to watch: The Sopranos, The Daily Show, My Name is Earl, and Days of Our Lives (I still don't know why -- a college habit I've been unable to break)


Four places you've been on vacation: Orlando FL, Franconia Notch NH (w/o the kids!), Bristol RI, and Sunapee NH (had to vacation here for 20 yrs. before I made it back home)


Four websites you visit daily: Yahoo weather, eBay, Web Soduko, Deltanet


Four of your favorite foods: pasta, steak, baked potatoes, pumpkin pie


Four places you'd rather be: Rome, Alaska (oops, only in the summer please), Seattle, any Caribbean island


Four albums you cannot live without: This is a hard one since I don't listen to music this way anymore. I make mix CDs for the car and listen to my MP3 player when running or at work. Current artists on my MP3 player include Pearl Jam, Alannis Morrisette, Aerosmith, Counting Crows, and Boston, etc for running. I also sleep (during my break of course) while crossing the Atlantic to a mix of Elton John, Doobies, Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones and the Fugees among many others that allow me to sleep through the passenger noise.


Next four tagged: Like the Pirate, I don't tag either. So...here's an addition to the list:


Four wishes for 2006: U.S. troops home from Iraq, a new President, Delta out of bankruptcy, and a happy, healthy family



That's all for this year. Let's hope for better things in 2006 ---

Happy New Year!

5 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

I think a lot of us in Atlanta would like to see Delta get out of bankruptcy. Happy New Year!!! I hope some of your wishes come true, but I think the last will!

Sun Jan 01, 10:13:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

You can't steal what is freely given.

Colorado Springs, eh? Did you go to the Academy? I hope so...it would give me a chuckle to think of Our Nation's Best Airmen huddled 'round a TV, wondering what's going on with Luke and Laura...


Yeharr

Mon Jan 09, 07:34:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

BP,

Yes, I went to that small boys' school -- could get an update on "Days" during noon meal formation if I was in class during the 1000 am episode...

BTW, Luke and Laura were on General Hospital --- but all the soaps have the same silly crap. My roommate during my senior year is responsible for getting me "hooked". Why I still watch is one of life's mysteries...

Mon Jan 09, 03:00:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

You watch because you are now part of that community.

One of my Prof's at grad school was doing a study on the use of television, and he focused on soap opera viewing. When they first became big--in the early 1950's--they were used as instruction manuals by housewives who had grown up during the depression and didn't know how to live with money. What to buy? What to wear? How to react at parties? All that middle class information was gleaned from soaps.

In the 1980's that changed. College kids were watching soaps in common rooms. They would schedule their classes around them. What they were doing (according to my Prof) was building a community. Their soap was the common thread that they used to connect with other people.

By continuing to watch that soap, you are still connecting with those folks you watched with back in the day.

Just thought I'd share.

Yeharr

ps: I'd love to read some posts about your time at the boys school. You must have been one of the first of your gender there...weren't you?

Tue Jan 10, 07:47:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

Thanks for sharing BP -- the Crank is now in the community just by catching a few minutes every so often. He teases me but also knows the storylines! :)

I was in the class of 1988, which was the 8th class with women. One of my coaches was in the first class with women and she told me how crazy it was in the beginning. Things had settled a bit by the time I arrived in '84.

Any particular topics you're intersted in?

I haven't been writing since I was gone all week followed by a weekend trip to RI for a late Xmas celebration with Cranky's family. My schedule sucks.

Tue Jan 10, 10:50:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home