Thursday, December 29, 2005

I didn't see the Pope but....




I made a quick pass through the Vatican on Christmas Day. As you can see the manger scene in front of St. Peter's was large and impressive. There was also a smaller version inside the church. I found myself wondering how it was constructed -- Was lightweight foam used? How heavy is the roof? Do they keep it in storage during the offseason? Who has the contract for the construction -- locals or Germans? Is this what I'm supposed to be thinking about as I view the manger? (I would also like to add that, although it was raining, lightning did not strike as I entered the church. :))

Most of Rome was closed for the holiday. It seemed like the only people out and about were the tourists, and us, the junior crewmembers who get to work on the holidays. Oh except the umbrella salesmen who were hounding us, even though I already had one. Enjoyed a cappucino near the Pantheon and ate dinner with a Continental crew. I guess it wasn't a bad place to be if I couldn't be home.

On the flight over, I debated with one of the other pilots Evolution vs ID. Yikes, I wish I hadn't brought up the PA ruling. He actually told me there was scientific evidence of ID! Maybe I should have brought up gay marriage instead..... Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

I posted a rather lengthy screed about ID v Evolution over at Burned Out Paranoid Democrat.

Interesting questions about the manger. Was it consecrated plywood? Is this the same Nativity scene as always, or did this Pope decide that St. Peter's Square should be under new Mangerment?

Apparently, there's also a big fight over who gets to tailor the Pope's clothes. It seems this Holy Father's a bit of a clothes horse, and is considering changing who tailors his robes. No biggie, except the tailors who have been doing the Popes robes previously have had the contract for someting like 400 years.

Yeharr

Thu Dec 29, 12:03:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home