Friday, January 20, 2006

The Wealthy Industrialist

According to Wikipedia:

An industrialist is a person who operates or controls a substantial industrial business over a period of time, usually amassing substantial fortunes or political power in the process, and who tends to become widely known within society in connection with their industry, or through other pursuits such as philanthropy.

So what does this have to do with me? Unfortunately, absolutely nothing.

Last night I was making dinner for my family. I had been thinking about making chili ever since I read Balloon Pirate's recipe the other day. Unfortunately I'm very "time-challenged" right now, so I went to my old standby, McCormick's Chili Mix. It only requires 3 ingredients: hamburger, red beans and tomato sauce. (I use an extra can of red beans -- it feeds one more person and makes it thicker) Then I mixed up some Jiffy Corn Muffin mix and threw it in an 8" round pan.

Anyway.....Since I was cooking dinner it was time for a beer. We were out of Sam Adams, my preferred winter beer, so I grabbed a Molson Canadian. After everything was underway - chili simmering, corn bread baking - I noticed the label on the back of my beer said "wealthy industrialist". What the hell does this have to do with my beer? Those crazy Canadians...

After grabbing another beer I decided to take a picture. (My husband thought I was crazy.)


There was fine print around the edge of the label that said,

Some said it wasn't possible to put another label on the back of the bottle. We said, "Huh, what did you say?" because it was really loud in that bar. Molsontwinlabel.com

So today I went to that website and and read this:

Using Molson Twin Label Technology, we've applied a second, or "twin" label to the back of each bottle of Molson Canadian and Canadian Light. This label can say anything, and usually does. So now, instead of letting your mouth do the talking, you can let your Molson do the talking.

I guess it's supposed to help out the drunks in bars to start up conversation. There are a lot of different messages, none that I would ever use or want to use.

I prefer the bottle caps found on some classic beers like Heffenreffer, Lucky or Narragansett that had the "concentration" puzzles. Does anybody remember those?

Have a great weekend and please don't "let your Molson do the talking"!

5 Comments:

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Beer with freaky labels. How very desperate. If someone has one of these, run, don't walk. They can't think for themselves.

My own (created) chili recipe: 1 lb ground turkey meat, 1 massive can drained kidney beans, 1 can salsa, 2 cans diced tomatoes with onions & spices, 2 bottles beer, garlic clove chopped, spice to taste. Basic, but it always gets raves! Especially when you add the sour cream and shredded cheese on the side.

Sat Jan 21, 02:19:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Jessica said...

I have a fond affection for beer labels. While rifling through a drawer for a pencil, I found the Heineken label with my phone number on the back from the night I first met my husband. I had no idea he'd kept it.

Forget this twin label thing, maybe Molson should start a dating service and write phone numbers on the REVERSE side of their labels--better than a scratchoff game.

Sun Jan 22, 10:09:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger mal said...

have you tried Lienenkugels Winterfest? It needs to be cut with a knife *S*

Wed Jan 25, 07:16:00 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever drink Pearl beer when you lived in Texas? I remember trying to do the puzzles in the caps after a good day of rock climbing. Thanks for the memory!

Fri Jan 27, 01:12:00 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

Fri Feb 17, 01:54:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home