Sunday, February 26, 2006

Bode is Great!


I'm a bit tired of the Bode-bashing by the press.

He was getting all kinds of good press before the Olympics, but how the tune has changed! From a CBS article dated Jan. 8, 2006 (titled Golden Boy Bode Miller):

Right now, the 28-year-old is the reigning world champion because, last March, he won the World Cup title, the world series of skiing. He is the first American to do that in 22 years.

Bode Miller falls more than any other world champion. Last year, in the process of winning the World Cup, he fell or just didn’t finish a third of his races. And many of the falls are just blood curdling. But when he begins to lose it, don’t count him out. His recoveries can be beyond belief.

But now that he didn't win any medals they are calling him the biggest bust in Olympic history. The reporters seem bothered that Bode is not upset that he didn't win any medals. So what?! He is showing people that it isn't about the winning, it's about being a competitor.

From an article today in the San Francisco Chronicle:

"The expectations were other people's," the biggest bust in U.S. Olympic history said. "I'm comfortable with what I've accomplished, including at the Olympics. I came in here to race as hard as I could. That was my obligation to myself."

I like Bode's attitude, but I don't like the label the reporter gave him. He's been busting his butt in skiing for most of his life, why shouldn't he have a good time at the Olympics?

I was browsing the Bode Miller family pictures on the NBS website and look at the picture I found of him with his parents when he was a kid! Can you guess where this picture was taken?


They are on top of Bald Mountain overlooking Cannon Ski Area, just like Cranky and me in this picture:


Oh, you gotta love New Hampshire!

13 Comments:

Blogger mal said...

I really dislike the pundits. They feel free to criticize people like Miller when they are nowhere near to being in his league let alone have never paid the personal price to be consideered "world class" in anything.

It is easier for many people to find the faults than to appreciate greatness when they see it

Sun Feb 26, 04:31:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger doodlebugmom said...

The stress on the "favored" athletes has to be incredible. Kudos to Bode and the rest for making it to the Olympics!

You two are so cute :) Bet you did a double take when you saw that Miller family picture.

Linda :o)

Mon Feb 27, 06:04:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Amy Ruiz Fritz said...

I just got back from visiting family in New Hampshire. I can't believe how little snow there is there. I also can't believe how friggin' cold it was!

My relatives were none to happy with Bode Miller's performance. I think they were buying into the media line. Personally, I don't care. I couldn't understand that speed skater guy Shani Davis. What was his damage? He just won the Gold medal and he looked like he just broke up with his girlfriend or something.

Mon Feb 27, 10:31:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

My entire Olympic TV viewing experience was limited to glancing at the TV in a coworkers office while a hockey game was playing when I went in to ask him a question.

Welcome back! Glad you had such a good time. I took my kids down in February. Love the pictures of Bob!

Yeharr

Tue Feb 28, 06:10:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger That Dude said...

I would say my entire Olympic experience in two words, Tanith Belbin....thats pretty ironic on the Bode pic, is he from NH?

Tue Feb 28, 07:58:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

Mallory and Doodlebugmom:
Exactly.

SFchick74:
NH is having a terrible winter. If it's going to be cold, I need to have snow! Bode skied like he always does, this time it didn't turn out in his favor. I don't think anybody has the right to be "mad" at him. He's the one who trained all these years; it's his thing. Shani Davis had to put up with that Chad Hedrick, a real TX a**hole. What a bummer!

BP:
There was some good snowboarding and short track skating. Catch it next time!

Dude:
I had to Google her name to see what part of the Olympics you "experienced" -- did you actually watch it? We had to endure some figure skating while watching other events. We were only interested in seeing them fall. You can probably imagine what Cranky was saying during that, right?

Glad to hear from you. Hope all is well in CHS!

Tue Feb 28, 08:43:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

How wild is that!

As to Bode Miller, I watch as little TV as possible for the most part, but I've heard about all his partying. I think that that is why he's being scoffed at right now(?)

Wed Mar 01, 08:50:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

The press has jumped on any comment he's made about partying since his 60 Minutes interview. When I was his age (28), the people I hung out with partied a lot too. Bode sounds average to me in that department but also manages to be a world-class athlete!

I hate to see someone penalized for being honest. He's a good NH yankee who speaks his mind. Not everybody likes that.

Wed Mar 01, 09:23:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger jj mollo said...

I think both Bode Miller and Shani Davis are to be admired. Sportscasters need to create a controversy. You don't get to go to the Olympics without overcoming challenge. They know how to win, and Miller works hard enough. We don't want these kids to become one dimensional robots.

Shani Davis is not media savvy, but I think he's really OK. You should see what Davis has gone through in his life. I think he does have good friends on the U.S. team, like Ohno. Those who have to compete with him directly may find him a little more difficult.

Wed Mar 01, 05:04:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger jj mollo said...

Here's a less politically correct assessment of the Davis controversy.

Wed Mar 01, 05:14:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger jj mollo said...

Oh, you gotta read the comments on this Dead Spin article.

Wed Mar 01, 05:23:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

jj mollo: Thanks for the links. Very interesting reading -- I hadn't heard about the dutch curling team...

-b. : At least Australia's first medal was in short track skating. I think it's the most exciting sport. I like that the skaters are forced to skate cleanly. Then again, I suppose it could get out of control quickly w/o them. Did you notice the press digging Ohno a bit after his gold medal win in the 500? They commented that it was his first gold medal that he actually crossed the line first. I thought that was pretty low.

Wed Mar 01, 09:45:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Jessica said...

I love the hand-on-the-knee pose. The only thing better is that Cranky is wearing a shirt that says "Champions." You guys know how to take good mountain shots!

Thu Mar 02, 11:38:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home