Saturday, March 04, 2006

Too Much Puke!

Caution: If you have a weak stomach, stop reading now.

Early Wednesday morning my 6 yr old woke up crying. I ran to his room and he said "I threw up", just as I stepped in something slimy. Yuk! I took him downstairs and gave him a puke bowl*. He puked every 15 minutes for the next 2 hrs, when the interval stretched to every 1/2 hour. At 6:30 am, he says, "I'm feeling better. Did you clean the puke in my room yet? And could you bring my clothes down for school?" (Of course I hadn't done any cleaning since he wouldn't let me leave him alone up to that point.) So I went upstairs to clean and disinfect his room. Meanwhile, he upchucks again so he's definately not going to school.

Thursday afternoon I started feeling a little funny. As I started making dinner, I had to make a dash for the bathroom. Uggh! Cranky finished cooking dinner but I didn't eat a thing. I suffered through the evening and at 10:30 I went to bed hoping I would get some sleep. Just as I put my head on the pillow, Bob, age 2, starts crying. I went to his room and as I picked him up, he hurled all over me! Gross! I didn't realize how much ziti he had eaten for dinner! I carried him to the bathroom to clean up and change clothes. I decided Bob and I would go downstairs to get through the night together.

As we got settled on the couch, I contemplated what I would do when I felt sick if Bob fell asleep. That was not an issue since Bob and I each threw up a couple of times during the next hour or so. Just before midnight, I heard someone upstairs in the bathroom. Shortly after that, my 11 yr. old daughter came downstairs saying she had gotten sick. I put her on a different couch and found her a puke bowl. (Bob and I each had one already.**) Every 15 minutes she would yell, "Puking!", which was my cue to bring her a tissue and empty her bowl. Both kids got to see Mom's puking technique (sit up and lean over the bowl) and I coached them as best I could under the circumstances.

Needless to say, it was a long night.***

Last night, Cranky woke up and was, you guessed it, puking! He's the last one in the family to get it and hopefully that's the end of it.

Have a great weekend...


*When I was a kid, we had a bowl designated the "spit-up" bowl that my mother would give us when we were sick. As far as I know, that was the only use for that bowl, because whenever anyone would see it, a funny look would come across their face and the bowl was immediately tucked away.

**Bob is not a big fan of the puke bowl. When he would start to get sick, I would grab the bowl to put under him and he would scream bloody murder! I brought him into the kitchen (linoleum floors) and had to catch the puke since he wouldn't put his head over the bowl, despite my impressive demos.

***Luckily, the little guy got over the bug the quickest, and by morning he eating again.

10 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

oh, that's lovely

hope you guys feel better soon!!!

Sat Mar 04, 11:31:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Jessica said...

And I thought it was bad with three people in the house. I relate completely. Too completely.

You realize just how much you need each other when someone becomes sick.

Sat Mar 04, 12:48:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Jessica said...

By the way, I added a link to you--hope you don't mind.

Sat Mar 04, 08:10:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

That's a whole lotta puke...

Sun Mar 05, 09:48:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger doodlebugmom said...

I think every mom has stepped in puke and been puked on. We have "barf buckets" at our house.

Hope everyone if feeling better now.

:o)

Sun Mar 05, 10:44:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger mal said...

you bring back some less than fond memories of my daughters....ugh

I hope everyone is feeling better

Mon Mar 06, 01:44:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

I'm sorry it happened, but I'm glad you shared...it's interesting to see other families; sick traditions.

I mean, the traditions they have when dealing with sickness, not the...

I've said enough

Yeharr

Mon Mar 06, 05:50:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Lalalala...not listening...

too much pukey, diarrhea-y, coughy stuff going on over here, don't want to know about yours too.

But from one mom to another, you have my abject sympathy.

Tue Mar 07, 06:21:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Acura rsx canada circle of life diamond pendant Cheapest didrex onlin bextra

Thu Apr 26, 05:14:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

cs22 '71 Double Deuce ! (then)
many years ago...

Tue Sep 04, 04:32:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home