Thursday, October 05, 2006

Happy Birthday Raymond!

Tomorrow is Raymond's 7th birthday. We celebrated it today, however, since we need to go to Rhode Island tomorrow.

His first grade class went on a field trip to a local apple orchard today. I went with them and it was a good time. I learned that if you plant apple seeds, you will not necessarily get the same kind of apple, and more likely you will get a tree that doesn't give fruit at all. The trees in the orchard had been grafted. They take a branch of a tree and graft it to the root of another. The root determines the size of the tree and the branch determines the type of apple. These grafted trees will often bear fruit just 2 years after the grafting. Cool huh?

I ate a couple of apples and came home with a 1/2 peck more. I love crunchy apples and there's really nothing like a fresh picked apple. Mmmm....

It was a cool windy day but it was sunny! Here's Raymond:


Tonight we had a bonfire birthday party for him. Pizza, cake and a fire to keep warm. Here are Raymond and his friends eating pizza on a big rock in the yard. We all had a good time.

Great-grammy's funeral is on Saturday. Bob told me he can sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" to make everybody feel better. (Actually I think he wanted to make great-grammy feel better, not realizing what death means.) Our hotel has internet access so I'll try to catch up on my blogging.

I'm also running in the Tufts 10K on Monday. Wish me luck!

7 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Good luck! And happy birthday to Raymond!

My grandmother once gave someone an apple pie and was asked if she made it from scratch. "I planted the tree," she answered.

Thu Oct 05, 11:21:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Old Man Rich said...

Happy Birthday Raymond. Enjoy being seven because once you hit eight its all bad.

Fri Oct 06, 07:14:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

What fun! Happy birthday Raymond.

There's an orchard that we go to several times in the fall. They have a great webpage that shows (approximately) when different types of apples will be ripe, and also what apples they are picking right now. And we have friends who have an old-fashioned cider press, and that's a blast, too.

There's a hill in town with a grove that we go to every weekend starting in September, to hike, climb, and play. There's one spot where you can stand and look out at the downtown skyline. We always take a minute to look and see how the trees are changing.

Nice house pictures. It's great to have two people who are committed to working on the house. Trust me.
(When you narrowed the door opening, what did you do with the two lights on the front porch? Did you bring them in closer to the door frame?)

I have a 'thing' about front doors, and their lack of use. Maybe I'll post on it sometime.

Yeharr

Sat Oct 07, 07:06:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Happy Super 7 Raympnd!

And good luck!

Sat Oct 07, 11:58:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

BP: We haven't moved the lights YET. The front porch is still torn up too. Cranky is going to fix the porch up just enough to get through the winter, because we plan to replace it next spring with a much bigger porch that goes along the front of the house.

Sat Oct 07, 04:33:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Awwwww. What adorable, cute kids! You're so lucky. Enjoy them! They are wonderful at every stage, but I wish I could have SaurKid again and again, every two years, so I can keep enjoying him at all the stages.

Mon Oct 09, 11:17:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Your little guy looks like such a content and loveable dude.

I haven't been reading much and you've been so busy!

Wed Oct 11, 08:12:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home