Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Busy, Busy, Busy


I've been so busy lately, I almost didn't notice how the leaves have changed. Here's what our backyard looked like today.





Between working and everyday chores, Cranky and I managed to remodel our front entryway. The door wasn't sealed correctly when the house was built and the floor was rotting out. Even though the front door is rarely used, the carpet there needed to go too. So here is what we did.


I forgot to take a picture before we started the project. In this picture the I had removed the trim and had cut away at the carpet to see how much of the floor was damaged.


We ripped up the rug and removed the heater covers. Cranky removed part of the front porch and the prep work was done.


All in one day, Cranky removed and replaced the front door and the rotted floor. He went to town on this door and had it out in no time.


Then he needed to replace the rotted part of the floor.


Bob likes to "help" with the projects and he is very good with a hammer:


Cranky is the master when it comes to squaring up a door. At this point, he was ready for this to be finished. It had been a long day!



I was only Cranky's helper up until this point, but once the door was in, it was my turn to work. First, I insulated the wall and put up new sheetrock:



After putting down Wonderboard (concrete underlayment board with fiberglass mesh), I started laying the tiles.



I let the mortar cure for a day and then it was time to for grout. I ended up with a couple blisters on my hand from this part.



Yesterday I sealed the grout and today I put up the trim. Here's the final product:






In other news: Raymond will turn 7 on Friday, so we are having a bon fire - birthday party Thursday night. We originally planned it for Friday night, but we received sad news on Monday morning. Cranky's grandmother died and we will be going to Rhode Island on Friday for the services. She was 90 years old and a wonderful lady.

So I'm trying to get set up for Raymond's birthday party and get ready for his Great-Grammy's funeral. A tiring and emotional week.

4 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

wow
my hubs has been working on our kitchen for 2 freakin years.

can i borrow cranky for a while??

looks great! and pretty leaves too!

Wed Oct 04, 07:33:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger mal said...

nice job *S*

He smoked you though, I would rather install a door than do tile *L*

Wed Oct 04, 10:04:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Impressive tag teaming of the door frame and what a lovely garden you have.

Cool.

Thu Oct 05, 07:56:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

It took you two how long to fix up that front entryway???

We were doing the same thing at about the same time. So far in the last month we've gotten a new front step and a new driveway, and painted the front door. NOw we are broke. Still!

Wed Oct 11, 08:10:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home