Monday, August 28, 2006

Happy Birthday Mary!




Yesterday, Mary turned 12. Yikes! Where has the time gone?

She had a couple of friends stay over Saturday night and I took them shopping yesterday. A good time had by all. We gave her a digital camera and she has been going nuts taking silly pictures.

It's been awhile since I've posted, but I've been very, very busy. For a mini-vacation,we went to Rhode Island for a couple days to see Cranky's family. We celebrate his mother's and Mary's birthdays and catch up on the family news. Here's Raymond at the beach where Cranky learned to swim when he was a kid:




But besides work, the project occupying most of my time is the mudroom. Each morning before taking the kids to the beach, I "mudded" the walls for a couple of hours. Then I painted. The weather cooled off so I started getting more done when we no longer hung out at the beach. On Thursday, I prepped the floor by putting down the underlayment (1/4 in. plywood) and smoothed the floor (seams and screws) with leveling compound. On Friday, I layed the linoleum. (It was my first attempt at this and it came out pretty good if I do say so myself.) On Saturday, Cranky installed the light fixtures and the outlet. And today I officially finished the room when I put in the floor trim. Here it is (I call it "snake in a mudroom"):




The original room ended at the beam you see in the picture, so we and doubled its size. It's almost ready to get filled with coats and dirty boots and shoes!

Wednesday is the first day of school for Mary and Raymond. I think they are ready to go back and it should free up my time too. Bob will start preschool starting Sep. 7th, going 2 days a week.

Speaking of Bob...You know your kid is ready to be potty-trained when he starts trying to change his own diaper. Today, Bob was yelling to me asking for help. When I got to his room, he was lying on the floor, pants and diaper off. He had a clean diaper unfolded, ready to go, and had even used wipes to clean himself. He did a pretty good job actually. But he needed me to finish up and put his diaper on. We've had MANY discussions on the need to "do his thing" on the toilet, but he says he's not quite ready. He's KILLING me!

That's all for now. I'm working on a couple other posts so I'll try to publish before I go fly again on Thursday...

2 Comments:

Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Great to have you back.

Let Bob be Bob. As a rule, we have not rushed our children in potty training, although we did 'hurry' our daughter up for child-care reasons. She was pretty much ready--she would tell us when she had to go. She didn't always know when she was done, though. Long story. Lots of bleach.

Yeharr

Tue Aug 29, 09:35:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Jessica said...

You have been busy. Happy birthday to Mary! I'm glad she was able to celebrate it before school started.

Your mudroom looks great. You're the queen of do-it-yourself projects in my book. I'm not sure how you make it look so easy.

The story about Bob made me laugh and laugh. He'd get along very well with my daughter, who has been practicing at wiping Elmo (much to my chagrin).

Wed Aug 30, 10:16:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home