Thursday, August 31, 2006

Weisbaden Wine Festival

I recently flew a 6-day Frankfurt trip that was a good time. I spent most of my summer in Rome, and it was nice to go to a cooler Germany. We stay in Weisbaden, where I love to go running. A flight attendant showed me a terrific running trail (actually I think it is a bike path), that goes through the woods. You can run as long as you want on it, but I go up to a church on top of a hill and back, a bit longer than 4 miles round-trip. I go in the mornings before we fly and it's a great way to start the day.

The other nice thing about this trip was the wine festival. It was about 10 days long and we went twice, since this was a 6-day trip (back and forth to Frankfurt twice).


This is the big church in the center of town. The wine festival wrapped all the way around it and the other buildings in the area. There was a band playing on each side, which was great.

Here's the other side of it:



I like the balloons hanging between the buildings:



The wine was wonderful and the munchies were great too. These are the biggest pretzels I have ever seen.


We also snacked on this pizza. They each had a thin, chewy crust. For toppings, one had cheese and arugula and the other had cheese, onions and bacon. They were both incredibly delicious!


This kid was doing great pouring and serving wine. I had to take a picture. I wish I had gotten one of him "sampling" it also, but I wasn't quick enough:


This German lady started talking to me in German and I kept saying "Ja, ja", to humor her, even though I couldn't understand a word she said. She ended up talking to several of us on the crew using German, some Russian, a little French and lots of hand signals. She showed me her ID to tell me her age and she is 72! Here we are enjoying wine under my umbrella:


There always seems to be something fun going on in Germany. The next festival I look forward to is in December.


I'm off to Rome. Have a great Labor Day weekend!

5 Comments:

Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

It's fun to discover how different countries eat pizza. My ex-brother-in-law (actually, STBEBIL) is French, and he takes his family to Dijon just about every summer to visit his relatives. They came back with the world's best mustard (Amora, not available in the US), and a flavored oil used for dipping . It's very tasty, and I'm trying to figure out all the flavors in it, cuz I'm going to recreate it when this runs out.

Your daughter is the coolest.

Raymond is such a guy. At least he's not wearing a kitty shirt like Cranky wore for his birthday.

have a safe trip!

Thu Aug 31, 10:37:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

BP: What is the dipping sauce called? I go to Paris and Nice this month. Maybe I can find it for you.

Thu Aug 31, 01:31:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

I'n not sure. It's at home and I'm at work. I'm working most of the weekend, but hopefully, I'll remember to look.

yeharr

Fri Sep 01, 03:19:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger mal said...

I heard it was a rule that any pilots drinking are supposed to be wearing NWA uniforms *L*

Sounds like you had a blast

Sun Sep 03, 02:29:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

I think it's good that they let you out of the plane long enough to sample local wonders...and take photos so your blog buddies can see!!!

As for your kids, man, are they ever cute! do tell your daughter that she rocks! (My son passed on the black nail polish for the first day of school. Not too much shock all at once I guess!) Raymond looks so content and cool.

As for the young fella...if anybody asks me how to toilet train a kid, I'm saying I don't know. don't have a clue. Somehow they got it together. End of story.

Cute jammies, Bob!!!

Tue Sep 05, 10:09:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home