Monday, October 09, 2006

Columbus Day Weekend

It was a busy weekend. We started off in Rhode Island at Great-Grammy's funeral. It was a sad event but she was 90 years old and we know she is now at peace. She was a remarkable and lively woman until very recently and it was difficult to see her in declining health. Here is a picture of her with Mary and Raymond taken last winter at Christmas time.

And having a very deep conversation with Bob:


Cranky and the kids cleaned up nice for the funeral though.

I rounded out the holiday weekend on a happier note. Today I ran in the Tufts 10K race in Boston. It was a beautiful sunny day, maybe a little too warm! I went with my friend Lynn (below, with me before the race) and her sister-in-law, Penny. It was the 30th running of the race and is one of the largest all-women races in the country. We drove to Cambridge early this morning and took the "T" to Boston Common. We had time to pick up our numbers and browse the sponsor booths, where we picked up a lot of goodies. Then we were ready to run!


Here is a picture I took while at the starting line. This is the line of people in front of me.


Here is the group behind me:


I started with the 8 minute/mile pace group. The first mile of the race was slow and crowded. There were a lot of people running slowly that were supposed to start in the back. I used a lot of energy getting past them and lost a lot of time despite the effort. Oh well. I was mostly there for the experience. I'm out of shape so I just wanted to run a good race and have FUN!


My time was 52:39, and I turned out to be 690 overall. There were around 7000 that started the race, but I only saw 6043 names on the results list. I wish I had done better -- maybe next year...

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Great to see pictures of Boston, one of my favourite places in the world!

Tue Oct 10, 12:20:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

My sympathies on losing Great Grammy. All of my grandparents are gone and have been for about 7 years and I still think about them often. They were huge in my life. It's a relief to know that your loved one isn't suffering anymore but it still hurts.

Your family must make you so proud!

You're so great. There you are running a marathon and taking pictures so we can live vicariously!

Wed Oct 11, 08:15:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger mal said...

ya done good!!! WHAT A CROWD!!!

I hate it when people do not honestly sort themselves out at the starts. It really does make it hard to shake out the group

Wed Oct 11, 11:43:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

I'm sorry for your loss. At least you got to know her. I lost 3/4 of my grandparents by 1964 (my two grandfathers died three days apart. They all lived in Southwestern PA, and my Dad found out his father died while we were in my Mom's hometown).

Nice looking family. How many of those ties are clip-ons? And how long did they stay on?

Assuming that there were 7000 folks at the 10k, you finished in the top 10%--pretty dang impressive!

Yeharr

Wed Oct 11, 04:42:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

BP: The boys are wearing zip ties. I love that they are so easy to put on, but as Cranky pointed out, it would also be nice to have a zipper lock so the boys couldn't loosen them easily. We managed to keep them in ties all morning.

Thu Oct 12, 11:31:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home