Monday, October 23, 2006

It's Pumpkin Carving Day!



October 23rd is another anniversary date for Cranky and me. In 1992, we were living in Tacoma Washington. I was only days away from being released from active duty (Air Force) and Cranky was leaving the next day on a 2-week military exercise in Las Vegas. That afternoon we decided to carve a pumpkin for Halloween since we wouldn't be together. It was a work of art!

That night we went to a keg party at a friend's house and had a great time. We went back to Cranky's house in his Cadillac, with Frank Sinatra in the tape player. He pulled up in front of the house. We were talking for a bit before getting out of the car and Cranky says, "Hey, would you consider marrying me?". I immediately replied, "Yah, sure!" He gave me a that-was-an-awfully-quick-answer look and I realized he was proposing. He said "CONSIDER"! I thought it was a hypothetical question. We both chuckled and I asked if he was serious.


He was and my answer still stood.

We went into the house, lit the jack-o-lantern, and talked by the light of the flickering candle. The next morning he went off to Vegas and I went home with the pumpkin, wondering if we were really engaged or if it was just a helluva keg party. He told me later that he almost asked when we were in Wayne's garage, getting a beer from the keg!

I'm glad we were in the cadillac. Sinatra was a nice touch too...

Anyway, the rest is pretty much history. Since that night we've tried to carve the pumpkin on October 23rd every year. Cranky does the carving, and I scoop out the guts.


Left to right: Family pumpkin, Bob's pumpkin (face drawn by Mary), Raymond's and Mary's pumpkins.

8 Comments:

Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Love it! Jethro figures since it was a hypothetical question you still have time to change your mind, haha!!!!

Those pumpkins are terrifying in a very cool way.

Tue Oct 24, 09:43:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

I suppose this means I gotta find my camera and take pictures of my gourds now...

verification word: medip

Yeharr

Tue Oct 24, 07:55:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Happy anniversary to the Carver and the Gut Scooper! ;o) A sweet story. Thank you very much for sharing it.

Tue Oct 24, 08:14:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

I was off doing something else with the kids, thinking about what a sweet story you wrote, and realized that I didn't express my appreciation for it. Thanks for giving us a little glimpse into your life.

Yeharr

Tue Oct 24, 09:26:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Colleen said...

cool pumpkin family!! happy halloween!

Mon Oct 30, 08:35:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger mal said...

cool story!

Mon Oct 30, 10:36:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Jessica said...

I love the little ones.

Mon Oct 30, 11:06:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Happy Halloween!

Tue Oct 31, 10:30:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home